Learning Community for Cognitive Disabilities
A partnership between the Texas State University Department of Psychology, the Seaton Foundation, and the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities-Texas Chapter.
The Learning Community is comprised of Texas State students who meet on a regular basis and complete an internship in Psychology focusing on the theme of long-term care (LTC) and LifeLong Living (LLL) for individuals of all ages with cognitive disabilities. The purpose is to prepare students for a career in LTC specializing in cognitive disabilities through education, training, internships, and optional research opportunities during their junior and senior year at Texas State University. The experiences may also be helpful for students considering careers as direct support professionals or licensed professionals, such as psychologist, counselor, or specialists in school psychology.
By participating fully in the community activities, Texas State students will:
- Receive priority registration in the internship course required for the learning community
- Earn a paid internship opportunity in a LTC setting during their junior or senior year
- Develop contacts for possible employment or volunteer activities in the future
- Attain specialized training and designation as a Direct Support Professional
- Become a life-long advocate for improved quality of LTC for individuals with cognitive disabilities
- Have the option of applying for a stipend of $150 to write a white paper that critically analyzes an aspect of long-term care and potentially presenting the paper or a poster about it at a state or regional conference with travel assistance provided
For additional information, please see the links below or contact the Faculty Advisor, Dr. Ollie Seay, at OllieSeay@txstate.edu.
Texas State Members
Dr. Ollie Seay, Faculty Advisor and Clinical Assistant Professor, Texas State University
Dr. Maria Czyzewska, Professor, Texas State University
David Seaton, President of the Seaton Foundation
Rachel Medina, LiveOak Internship Coordinator
Casey Dickerson, Down Home Ranch Internship Coordinator
Will Hoermann, Marbridge Internship Coordinator